If you are looking for a good cause to help you celebrate this winter season on Balboa Peninsula, look no further: The third annual Winter Bar Crawl for a Cause is happening Feb. 23. All proceeds from the event directly benefit the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation of Orange County (CFF OC).
Tickets are $20 in advance ($10 for additional raffle tickets) and $25 at the door. All tickets can be purchased at barcrawlforacause2019.event
The crawl begins 1 p.m. at Malarky’s Irish Pub and then moves on to Stag Bar, Sharkeez, and ends at The Blue Beet with a charity raffle and a live performance by The Droppers. Each bar stop will feature drink specials for participating guests only, and several bars will also feature free food donated by event sponsors.
Raffle features prize giveaways from dozens of local businesses, including:
(1) wine gift package from We Believe Wines
· 2 all-day bike rentals from Newport Cruisers
· (1) month free at F45 Training Newport Beach
· (1) free teeth whitening from Dr. Fortes, Mumolo & Fortes, DDS
· (3) Gift bags from The Pizza Press Newport Beach, which include branded swag (glass, keychain, sunglasses), discounts on menu items and a $10 gift certificate
· (1) wine, tasting + food gift package from Hi-Time Wine Cellars
· (1) gift certificate from Daisy Nails (Donated by Julia Morton / White Sail Realty)
· (1) Gift certificate from Miss Mini Donuts
· (1) free Spring Registration to Beach City Sports
· (1) $25 gift certificate to the Newport Beach Farmers’ Market
· (4) $50 gift certificates to AURORA Newport
· (1) hour of personal training from Fearless Fitness Society Founder Jessica Caruso
· Gift package from Roxy/Quiksilver
· (1) Duffy ride from OC Boat Rental
· (1) $25 gift certificate for the Newport Beach Farmers’ Market
· (2) personal training sessions from Jim Hooper, owner of Balboa Fitness
· (1) paddle boarding session from Paddle Board Newport Beach
· (1) nutrition consultation with April Murray, Registered Dietitian (valued at $200)
· (1) gift basket from Clothing by Owl (brand of The Bachelor/The Bachelorette) valued at ~$130
· (2) $40 gift cards to Sharkeez
Last year, the first-ever Winter Bar Crawl for a Cause raised $4K for CFF OC and had 140 participants, and this year they have set a goal of $5K– and hope to have even more join in on the fun!
The organizer, Melissa Kandel, a Balboa Peninsula resident who was also named the 2017 Newcomer Volunteer for CFF OC, lost her mother several years ago to cystic fibrosis. She is also serving on the board for the “Beach, Brews & BBQ” event and is chair of Orange County’s Finest, a CFF OC fundraising effort bringing together local young professionals.
When I spoke with Kandel about the event she said “I think a bar crawl is a great way to bring awareness and raise money, and the Peninsula is such a vibrant, lively place and I wanted to tap into that energy with an event that not only benefits a great cause but is also really fun for its participants.”
More information can be found at their official Facebook Event page, here: https://www.facebook.com/events/2273768189558804/